10 May 2006

what a little milk can do



I'm a macchiato kind of gal. Most mornings, I like my small shot of coffee to have a puffy top-coat of foam. It's a nice contrast to the caramel nature of the espresso below, and also the perfect place to deposit a fine stream of sugar that sinks slowly through the foam and into the liquid below. A macchiato, I assert, is where it's at.

However, should you be in Rome and have a moment to indulge in a brief respite, I would head to this cafe. I would then order a cappucino. I most certainly would drink it while doing my best to hold in the ooh's and aah's.



The cappucino here is a sweet and perky coffee with much more spirit than any cappucino I'd had previously. It was not lazy with milk the way others have been, dragged down into blandness by the sheer abundance of it. This cappucino was alive and vibrant and exactly the kind of drink one imagines would exist in Rome.

It's a drink for watching people. And practicing your Italian. And pondering how it is that a place like Rome can exist; with it's history and mystery and perfectly-sweetened caffe.

1 comment:

Gia-Gina said...

This is a great place, the first time I visited Rome for the first time my hubby took me here and I loved it. I am glad you had a great experience.