05 October 2006

riding the waves



The city of Milan is ravaged by a fairly constant and aggressive onslaught of graffiti. When we first arrived we were shocked by the sheer volume, but I guess we've grown accustomed to the tagging... the calls for anarchy... the giant Gary Coleman heads crawling along the walls. But still, graffiti is so not cool.

But it's like the pollution. The smoking. The lack of lines and order. I don't like it but I've gotten used to it.

And now out of the ugly and useless depths of graffiti come a family of dolphins. Our spray paint perpetrator has transformed barriers meant to keep cars out of pedestrian areas into the fins of frolicking ocean playmates. Shame on you, but as long as you're at it...

The dolphins aren't terrible. In fact, I prefer them to the aforementioned Gary Coleman craniums glued to old buildings. I still, though, would prefer that things were left as they were made. No spray paint. No glue. No messages to the masses.

I, though, will leave one message to the masses tonight: Arrivederci! We leave for Thailand tomorrow and won't be back until next Sunday. In the meantime I imagine there'll be quite a few things to observe in that corner of the world.

Until the 15th...

No comments: